Friday, May 2, 2008

PSP to become DivX Certified

That's all fine and good, but...the big question is, how well can it play (or if at all) resolutions higher than 480 x 272? The whole point is to avoid the hassle of re-encoding anything. I can re-encode all my video to 480 x 272 AVC, but I don't because:

1. Having 2 copies of the video doesn't make sense, takes a lot of space, especially since the second one I'm re-encoding is of a lower resolution.
2. It takes a lot of time. Even if I had a dual 4 core processor (I think its called skulltrail), and I had a multithreaded encoder, I would still probably rather not.

It all boils down to time and convienience. I don't have something that manages all the reencoding for me (even if I did, it would be a lot of extra wasted space and energy). I would not have to wait for something to re-encode if I wanted to take it to go.

Lets hope it can scale down the resolution and not lose frames, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment