Monday, September 8, 2003

things are looking up and up



saturday, i woke up with very noticable improvement on the pain. for the first time in 6 months, i could stand straight up without any pain. tommy came by again this weekend so i ate out for the first time since my injury. we went to this thai place called saffron. i've been there twice previously. first time was an okay experience. second time was good. the third time (this weekend) was horrible. my spicy drunken noodles had this pungent smell of licorice (not a big fan) and the salad rolls (aka spring rolls everywhere else) were frozen on the inside. and the shrimp they gave us seemed like rehydrated mini shrimp you get in the cheap salad. basically i'm never going there again. awful.



sunday, to my surprise, i was even better than the day before, and finally decided to get a haircut. pic here. another thing i noticed when i woke up was that my skin was really good for some odd reason, so i thought it was a good sign to do some grooming.



the guy that cuts my hair was pretty shocked to hear that i hadn't cut my hair in 6 months, and even more surprised when he saw me in person. anyway, he is the hair stylist that i had to track down after he quit manivonne's hair design (fka benzhair). so he moved to fantastic sams a couple of blocks away. and he called me about 5 months ago saying that he had his own place now. even a bit further time time. it took about 25 minutes of sprited driving to get there. on my way back, i thought i'd stretch its legs and hit 100 for a little while. high speed driving will still take some getting used to.



after that, i went to JV's with tommy and got the surf and turf burriton. probably the biggest and best value burrito money can buy. but there is something weird about their ingredients because after i eat that burrito, it feels like i've taken some really good pain killers and i usually take a nice siesta for about an hour or so. after tommy left, i took a nap then went to ralphs...which i haven't done since the injury. and its just one of my things to do after hours shopping at ralphs. it feels like i am not limited to just getting items on the list. i enjoy cruising the halls and looking at and comparing the products. before i got injured i probably averaged going to ralphs 3 times a week, most of the times after midnight.



strangely, but as it was expected, when i do things that i missed doing, i don't find greater pleasure in it even though i still enjoy it. it's like the hair. i had the longest hair i've ever, and now that i've got rid of it, it has been 12 hours and it feels like that's all far off in the past. as much as i miss being at work, i think i'll get there and realize there wasn't not too much there for me to be missing. this whole mass social surrounding that we often feel so addicted to sometimes is really not there for me anymore. doesn't mean i'm not looking forward to some things, but i no longer feel like i need to be out just to change my social atmosphere. what i'm going to be looking for are more meaningful experiences and make the most out of my time. now what is that? beats me. maybe i'll put more focus on my future.



another thing that happened today was that the last of the stitch has fallen off and the incision looks like its healing nicely. i'm still having trouble walking, and trying to keep my spine straight. there is still definitely a lot of pain if i get in the right position. i definitely still have more healing to do. still can't celebrate yet because i still feel injured. things have improved enough to get me to schedule my next follow up so that they can sign the paper that will let me return to work and find out what's going on with my physical therapy appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment