Sunday, December 30, 2007

Child Dicipline

In America, disciplining your child is a touchy subject for some. And understandably so. There seems to be only 2 common forms:
A) Spanking
B) A time out (for younger kids).

I would have to say both are really stupid. In my opinion, one is too mild, and the other is too extreme. So basically, one is "nothing", and the other one, you need to deliver physical pain to your child with your own hands. In a country where we strive to innovate and improve effectiveness, can't we think of something better?

Yes. My parents used it. I don't know if its called anything but its like a time out, but with a little bit of onsetting pain. What my parents had me do was stand against the wall with our hands up. And it might seem like the arms in the air won't be that big of a deal, but trust me, after a minute, its no joke. I'm not sure what the longest duration I got punished for was, but I wouldn't suggest starting this out with your children with a time longer than 5 minutes, and you can change the times accordingly. Within 30 seconds, you can literally feel the blood slowly flowing down, and a minute in your arm is throbbing while being filled with lactic acid. Another reason it was effective was that my ssiter and brother would be watching me, and it would feel a bit ackward and humiliating, but it wouldn't be traumatizing. The description of that kinda sounds cruel and medival, but its not. After all, it is still just having your arms in the air. And that's the beauty of it. It has the benefits of a time out, the benefits of it being painful without laying a hand on your kid and also a little humiliating. After the punishment is over, the physical effects of the punishment goes away within a few seconds, but it was painful enough to where you don't want to go through that again. You definitely should try it first to make sure the length of time you're handing out isn't going to be more punishment than you want to dish out.

No comments:

Post a Comment