Saturday, May 9, 2009

The latest sourdough lesson

There are limits to how much the dough rises. If you leave it alone for too long, it actually starts deflating. And the key to the sourdough bread I've concluded so far is to bake it before it makes this transition. In the 1-2-3 recipe I found on youtube (1 cup starter, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 3 cups of flour), 8 hours of letting it rise in a warm environment (above 90 degrees F) is absolutely the max. I think you should inspect the loaf around 4.5-6.5 hours to see if almost there.

What happened with the latest loaf I baked was that after the dough had risen, the dough wasn't thick enuogh (I could have paid attention to the thickness after I mixed in the flour, water, and salt to avoid this in the future). So what I did was I added more flour, let it rise again, then baked it. Unfortunately, this made the whole loaf go extra sour. The sourness was over the top. It was so sour that I could only eat the crust. The the soft part made me cringe with one eye shut as I furrowed my brow trying to keep the other eye open. It was definitely something else.

My frist 2 attempts were loafs with very little hint of sourness. But now I know how to make sourdough as sour as I want to make it. And there is definitely something as too sour sourdough. I just need to find the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment