Monday, December 8, 2008

Thai Red Curry

Prep time: 5-10 min
Cook time: 5 min

I've been making green curry last few weeks, and since the paste for the other curries are so cheap, I decided to buy the red and the panang pastes as well. I had been getting the frozen seafood mix and the asian frozen vegetable medlies from Trader Joes, but this time, I decided to do everything from scratch.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped. While it seemed like you couldn't possibly ever make a bad batch of thai curry, I found one key mistake you can make that can mess up the whole thing. When I was buying coconut milk at 99 ranch, I saw that this other brand of coconut milk on sale at half price. Not thinking twice, I bought that instead of the ones I had already put in my basket. I soon realized as I was cooking that the coconut milk that was on sale sucked. The biggest factor was that it was more liquid and had less of that cream. Checking the Nutritional Facts, it was obvious. the cheap coconut milk had 7g of fat, while the good one had 14g of fat. Lesson learned.

Ingredients:
Shrimp
Scallops
Squid
Red curry paste
Fish sauce
sugar
basil leaves
garlic
peanut oil
thai chiles
bamboo shoots
broccoli
baby corn
chicken stock
coconut milk

It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but considering there is no real cooking involved other than sauteeing the garlic, and everything is added to taste, its one of the easiest things to make. To be honest, I can't see myself going back to a thai restaurant any time soon because I've discovered its so cheap and easy to make thai food at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment