Wednesday, May 23, 2007

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

As I was driving back from Rock Bottom, I saw a guy pretty much parked in front of a busy intersection. I thought it was just a stranded motorist, but upon closer inspection as I was driving away as the light turned green, the guy was passed out in the drivers seat, with his door wide open. I knew he needed assistance. But it was at a somewhat busy intersection, and for a second, I thought, someone must have already called 911, because it was so obvious he needed help, bad. And I hadn't even looked at what the cross street was. Then I realized, who cares if a hundred people called it in already. One more call, whether it be the first one, or the 101th, police weren't there yet, and no one else was helping him, and I realized it must be done. I made a quick U-turn, got the cross street, and called 911. Amazingly when I called, it from what I could tell from the operator, I was the first one calling in. Luckily for the guy, he had left himself exposed half a mile away from a the fire department, police station, (and even 2 hospitals). After I had to make another U-turn far down the road to get back to his side of the road to see if I can park anywhere, the police had arrived, with the firetruck about a quarter mile away, I knew I had done all I could. Whether it was shock, heartattack, stroke, or botched carjacking, if I hadn't called it in, he would have had to wait longer, maybe seconds...or maybe even minutes. Not sure what the outcome was, and its none of my business, but I drove with the certainty that the outcome for him couldn't have been any better. It was definitely a spiritual experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment