Friday, November 1, 2002

Public restroom humor for the day.

What's worse than someone who leaves without washing their hands?

Someone who skips washing their hands but still uses the paper towels.



Today was my time going to do some jury duty. There was bunch of stuff going on all over, but i chose to stay home thinking I should sleep early. Boy was I wrong.....I finally went to sleep at 2:30 and planned to wake up at 6:00. I finally did get up at 6:20, did my usual routine, left at the planned 7:15 on the dot. i got there just on time, and had to go from the meters to the parking structures. It costed me $16 btw. Next time I'll just do the meters. at $1 an hour, it would have costed me $7, and the breaks are plentiful. i went in there thinking how this is such a royal waste of my time. and i was thinking of stuff i could say to get out of it. a bunch of half truths. i also envisioned me sitting there not getting called for days. i had prepared a full days worth of small meals, few magazines, my wellness course reading, and GTA: VC strategy guide.



long story short, I was excused. Basically, first group of the names they called included my name. I was in a courtroom by 9:30. And out of those 36 people, they chose 24 potential jurors. I was part of the 24. we finally got around letting people go (out of the interest of the lawyers) at around 2:15. I sat in juror #10 spot for a few minutes until I was excused.



This old lady said something to the affect “it should be guilty until proven innocent”, and she was excused about 5 minutes in when we got there that morning. about 5 people looked like they were trying to pull something. They weren’t excused. One of them looked rather foolish doing it.



by the way, you no longer are paid $5 your first day. But from the second day, the daily pay is $15.



On the way home, I ran over this metal object which scraped the lower parts of my doors really bad probably causing upwards of 100s of dollars in damages.



Even though it was an expensive day for me, I have to say it has been somewhat as an eye opening experience. It would have been a short case (at the latest Wednesday and I don’t think I would have any problems severing other than the $16 of daily parking fees.) I have more respect in our legal system. Basically of all the things I thought of that I could say, the orientation, and the judges opening remarks just dissolved any issues I thought I would having serving as a juror. I chose not to speak at all, other than when I had to share my information. in the courtroom, i was the youngest one there by far. a good number of jurors had grandchildren in their 20s. the second youngest ones in there were the attorneys who were probably in their late 20's or early 30s.



one weird thing is that i think one of the jurors was previously charged with a sexual assault with a minor. he has a teaching degree, was in the profession for many years, and now he works for YMCA.........kinda raises an eye brow, don't you think?



we had a 2 hour lunch break. in that time, I went to EB to buy DDR MAX for the PS2. I've played some of it. And it definitely is worth the buy. They have the steps where you have to hold it there, and it adds a whold different level of difficulty that I want to master. I also stopped at GNC just to snoop around. I ended up getting the gold card, and getting a big ass bottle of NITRO-TECH (protein shake). I like my Glutapro, but I think it's time to mix it up. I've learned that mixing it up in general (not just working out, but applies to everything like what you eat, what you do, trying new things, where you go, etc) is just a big part of one's overall "wellness".

No comments:

Post a Comment